Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Blues Obscurities

 
The 10 cd Blues Obscurities posting from a couple of weeks ago has proven to be very popular. So far each one has had more attention than any posting up until now and the most comments.
When released in the early 70's all the tracks where almost impossible to find or hear for the casual blues fan but things have changed. Almost every track has been re-released several times on LP or CD, can be heard on Youtube and downloaded.
As a blues collector all I can say is that we've got it easy compared to the collectors from the 60's/70's and I'm grateful for that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not interested in this but I wanted to say again that this is one of the best blues blogs out there. I come here often and love your choices.

BobMac said...

"As a blues collector all I can say is that we've got it easy compared to the collectors from the 60's/70's and I'm grateful for that."

Ain't that the truth. I can remember ordering Robert Johnson and Elmore James LPs from USA & UK in the 1960s and waiting weeks for that package to arrive. These days I see blues CDs in $2 bargain bins in the local shopping centers. And of course now you just need to Google an artist's name and hey presto!

boogieman said...

It's true, we've got it easy but we've lost a lot of the excitement. The excitement of finding a rare blues record, the excitement of waiting for the parcel from the States or Uk with the precious LP, EP or 78, the excitement of sharing it with friends, of discussing the merits of the record with friends, whole evening while guzzling beer.

In a way I'm grateful that i can listen to almost anything everything on mp3 - for nothing - but the price of it, in terms of loss, is pretty dear.