Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Guitar Nubbit & Alabama Watson - Boston Country Blues (Full rip)

Guitar Nubbit b. Alvin Hankerson, 1923, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA. Nicknamed ‘Nubbit’ following the loss of the tip of his right thumb at the age of three in a hurricane, Hankerson grew up in Georgia, relocating to Boston, Massachusetts, in 1945. Taking up guitar in 1948, he was unable to teach himself and abandoned the instrument after a year, only resuming in 1954 when he took some lessons. In the early 60s, he recorded for the local Bluestown label and, being a young, original blues singer, caused some excitement among the attentive white audiences. His isolation from the mainstream of blues led to some remarkable lyrics (‘I whistled to my shotgun, and it crawled down off the wall’), but heard at length, his music lacks variety. After a brief exposure on the local folk scene, Nubbit returned to obscurity. However, in 1990 he released a 12-inch single, ‘Reliving The Legend’. (Allmusic)
Couldn't find any info on Alabama Watson except that he backed Guitar Nubbit and also released some 45's on the Bluestown label.
Thank you to Blue eye for this one and also for filling a request.

Post:  http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/46591924/file.html

I'm passing the blame to my wife, who never looks at the blog, for the lousy quality control and I'm cutting back her wine quota for a couple of weeks.

10 comments:

Alan Balfour said...

Here's here's discography

http://www.wirz.de/music/nubbifrm.htm

Georgia Chain Gang is an all time great!

"I Whistled To My Shotgun, And It Crawled Down Off The Wall...."

Anonymous said...

thank you so much

12vjoe said...

Thank you so much - great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff!!!

I only got tracks 11-21?

Are tracks 1-10 in a different post??

thanks

Anonymous said...

When I download this, it only downloads the Alabama Watson songs, but not the Guitar Nubbit tracks. Is anyone else having this problem?

Bob Mac said...

Unless I'm missing something here, these 11 tracks are by Alabama Watson and not Guitar Nubbit.

Gyro1966 said...

Please upload the first part of this LP when you can, thanks.

Xyros said...

@ Gryo1966, the link is for the complete CD including the missing tracks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot !!! I don't know this 2 artists. They're very good !
With your blog I found a lot of artists that I never listen before !
(I love blues so much ...)
Hygiaphone13

Xyros said...

Glad you liked this CD and that there are more artists that you can hear for the first time.